What is a Cool Roof ?
Roofs allow building owners, architects, civil engineers, energy
consultants and policy makers to optimise the energy and environmental
performance of a single building or an urban environment, depending
on the use, design, environment and the surrounding climate.
Α Cool Roof minimises solar heat gain keeping roof surfaces cooler
under the sun. This is due to the materials used, which both reflect
the solar radiation (solar reflectance) and release the absorbed
heat (infrared emittance).
A Cool Roofing product is characterised
by higher solar reflectance in comparison to conventional roof materials
of the same colour and high infrared emittance values.
Cool Roofing products can be applied
to all types of roofs including those of residential buildings, apartment
blocks, industrial structures, commercial buildings, hospitals, and
The benefits of a Cool Roof products can be summarised
|For building owners
- reduce the energy required for interior cooling
- reduce thermal stresses on the roof potentially improving
- improve indoor thermal comfort
- reduce running and maintenance costs
For policy makers
- have a positive impact on the global environment by reducing
the energy required for interior cooling and related greenhouse
- help to mitigate the urban heat island effect